Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Do-It-Yourself Diaper Sprayer

I'm sure those of you out there who cloth diaper have seen the diaper sprayers the commercial companies sell. When my little one was first born I realized that some soiled diapers have to be sprayed off before being washed. It was too bad I had to learn that the hard way. So I really wanted to invest in a diaper sprayer but $40-$50 was a little steep for me. The thrifty side of me just wouldn't allow that purchase. So, I tried alternatives.

Shaking them off in clean toilet water was not very effective.
Using the shower hose on a stream setting into the toilet was more effective but water got everywhere!
Using the sink and its hose was most effective but really gross.

After sanitizing my sink 5 times I decided just to give in and spend the money on the diaper sprayer. I told my husband of my pending purchase but he told me to wait. When I got home that day he had fixed up a sprayer onto my toilet using a kitchen sink sprayer and it cost HALF of what the diaper sprayer cost. Plus, it works great! My husband is such the handyman.

So, I knew I couldn't keep this to myself. I asked him to tell me all the products needed and the steps to hook it up which is posted below with links and pictures.

If you don't want to go get these products yourself, I do sell a Diaper Sprayer Kit for $30 that is already assembled so all you need to do hook it up to the toilet. It's listed to the right of the posts in the Prices and Products section.

Do-It-Yourself Diaper Sprayer

What you need:



 
 
Note: the links are examples of what to get. Please feel free to get any brand. It's easier to get exactly what you need if you go into the store and ask a employee to find the parts.

To Attach Sprayer to Toilet:
  1. Turn off water valve
  2. Disconnect toilet hose from shut of valve 
  3. Connect the 3/8 in. x 3/8 in. x 3/8 in. Brass Compression Adapt-A-Valve to the shut off valve
  4. Remove nut from side valve and reconnect the toilet hose to the side valve
  5. Cut a 1-1/4in piece of PEX (Do not bend the PEX while cutting. Use a very sharp knife or a serrated knife to insure the PEX doesn't bend.)
  6. Insert 1-1/4 piece of PEX into the top valve of the Brass comppression Adapt-A-Valve and tighten the nut around the PEX
  7. Connect the 1/4in side of the Brass Compression Coupling to the PEX by putting the small brass insert into the PEX and tightening the nut.
  8. Connect the sprayer to the 3/8in side of the Brass Compression Coupling and tighten the nut.
  9. TA-DA! You have successfully connected your very own, very cheap, diaper sprayer!
This is what it should look like when completed:

If your having difficulty connecting your sprayer or need further instruction feel free to e-mail me at greencheeksdiapers@live.com or comment on this blog and I can help you.

1 comment: