Friday, June 17, 2011

Laundry Rack for Drying Diapers

It has been so long since I posted! I've had a few drafts going but could never find the time to finish one and post it. I hope this one makes it today.

There has been a lot going on in the past few months but for now I'll do a post that's short and sweet.

I dislike drying my diapers in the dryer. It cuts the life of my diapers down to nearly half even on low heat. This includes many different brands that I have tried. (There will be a post on this coming soon. I have some pictures of diapers I have only air dried and diapers I have put in the dryer. After a few months the difference is substantial.) My personal favorite way to dry diapers is outside on the clothes line. They aren't damaged by the excessive heat of the dryer and the sun helps bleach away the stains and lingering stink. But we can't line dry our diapers all the time. Some people are not able to line due to living conditions and such. And often times the weather does not permit. But there is an alternative to the dryer in times such as these.

A laundry rack.

I'm drying some diapers and a wet bag on my laundry rack.
I know laundry racks aren't a new thing but it never occurred to me to use one until a friend I made some diapers for told me this is how she dried her diapers. Since then, if the weather does not permit line drying, my diapers are on the rack. I still will put my inserts and wipes in the dryer in these circumstances but anything with PUL goes on the rack.

In the winter I even put the laundry rack by my sliding glass door when its sunny. My thought is that maybe it will help. I'm not positive how effective this is but I do think it makes some difference for stains. (Not equivalent to outdoor line drying though.)

The diapers don't take too horribly long to dry either. In only a few hours they are ready to fold with the exception of AIO diapers which take forever to dry no matter what method you use.

Laundry racks are pretty cheap too. They run close to $20 for one similar to the pictures below. I really think it's a good investment and helps lengthen the life of the diapers compared to drying them in a heated dryer.

I checked out 3 locations with laundry racks:

Bed Bath and Beyond laundry rack. This is the one I got.

WalMart laundry rack


Target laundry rack




No comments:

Post a Comment