Thursday, September 9, 2010

Experimenting with cloth diapers designs and patterns

Well, my sore neck is proof of my dedication to my cloth diapers since my last post. I have been bent over my sewing machine every spare second I've had (which isn't much with a demanding 6 month old) to get some diapers done. I've tried a few different patterns and designs.


This (3 above) is my very first diaper I made. It's a double layer PUL with Velcro and a fleece lining. All these diapers are the same size: large. For children 22-28 lbs approximately. I made a pocket in the center of the diaper so the insert would fit snugly. I liked the pocket except when I need to separate the insert from the diaper the opening is dirty. If you'll notice this diaper there are dark blue tabs that seem to be added where the rest of the diaper is light blue. I used dark blue because that was the scraps I had. In the original pattern I hadn't made the tabs long enough so I had to add them as an after thought. Even with this error this diaper fit my 6 month old very well.



  This diaper (2 above) was the second pattern I developed. It is also a double layer PUL but with a flannel lining. As you can see the tabs are the same color. I also made a mistake on this one, which is fine because otherwise how would I find the perfect diaper? I made this diaper and all-in-one. It's a really great diaper when on my baby. I can even use it as a night diaper with no leaks. But it takes forever to dry. I line dry my diapers most of the time and this one takes 2x as long as the others. What I should have done was added a pocket so that I could turn it inside out so it would dry more quickly.





 
The pictures above are of the third pattern and diaper I made. This is PUL, and Velcro with a flannel lining with a pink dotted pattern. As you can see I made the tabs wider for better coverage around the baby. In a way the tabs are a little more like the Fuzzi Bunz diapers. I thought this was an improvement overall. I made a pocket on the top with elastic to keep the insert in. 







 
This is the most current diaper I have made. It's the same pattern as the diaper before this one but obviously much more adorable. The lining is flannel which I have found to work the best so far and it comes in such a vast variety of colors and designs. The idea to put ruffles come to me while working on a baby dress. I decided that if I could put ruffles on a dress why not a diaper?


Well, that's all for now. I have a lot of plans for my next diapers. I'm thinking of rubber ducks for some boy diapers and maybe some other festive themes. Halloween is right around the corner and I'm hoping to make something for the occasion. I'll let you know what I come up with. 

Until then,

Ariel

1 comment:

  1. Those are way cute! They are amazing, I had a hard time making a simple Halloween bag. What do you insert into the diaper?
    -angela

    ReplyDelete