Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How to Make Laundry Tabs

Before I started making my own diapers I used many different brands of cloth diapers trying to find one that fit my needs and my baby best. I did like Bum Genius diapers with a few exceptions. Besides being overpriced I didn't like when I would pull them out of the washer they would be in a long train. The hook and loop (Velcro) closures would attach to each other and be a giant mess!


This is a Bum Genius diaper. I have circled the laundry tab. It is sewn onto the inside of the diaper which would be very convenient if they worked. After a few washings the hook closures are fastening to anything but the designated loop laundry tab on the inside of the diapers during a wash. This, not only is very annoying, it damages the diaper that you just mortgaged your house to buy. (OK, an exaggeration but you get the point.) Diapers do not last nearly as long if the hook closures are constantly tugging as the fabric. When a friend, who has been cloth diapering for years, told me her solution it was like a breath of fresh air.
Below is a simple step by step guide to making laundry tabs for you GreenCheeks diapers so that you may avoid the dreaded diaper chain.
  1. You need a piece of 2 inch loop fastener. The length depends on how many fasteners you will need.
   
       2.  Measure 1.5 inches in length.

   
       3. With a fabric pen mark the loop fastener as 1.5 inches.

       4. Cut the loop fastener at 1.5 inches where you just marked.

       5. Place your new laundry tab on the hook fasteners of your GreenCheeks diaper.

       6. Now that your tabs are covered your diaper is ready to be washed!



I put my laundry tabs in a small container by the side of my changing table. When I change a diaper I put the tabs on the diaper before I put it in the dirty pale so when I'm ready to wash my diapers all my laundry tabs are already in place. I'm been using this method for several months now and I can really tell the difference it makes for my diapers.

I hope this helps you out too!

No comments:

Post a Comment